Thursday, September 1, 2011

My Favorite Cupcakes

With red sprinkles

I LOVE cupcakes!  They are perfectly portioned and they look so cute with the swirled frosting and sprinkles. Every time I see a cupcake shop, I have to stop by.  Even if I'm not buying any, just looking at them makes me happy. 

My favorite flavor is the red velvet! The cream cheese frosting and the light chocolate cake make them outstanding. Here is a recipe that I use from the Cupcake Doctor by Anne Bryn.

Red Velvet Cupcakes
Makes 2 dozens

For the cake:
  • 1 box of German chocolate cake mix 
  • 1 (3.4 oz) vanilla pudding mix
  • 1/2 C. oil
  • 1 C. sour cream 
  • 1/2 C. of water
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 tsp of vanilla
  • 1 bottle (1oz) of red food coloring
For the Cream Cheese Frosting:
  • 2 (8oz) cream cheese, softened
  • 1/2 C. butter
  • 2 C. of confectioner's sugar, sifted
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract

Preheat the oven to 350 F and line the cupcake pan with liners.

In a bowl, combine cake mix, oil, water, sour cream, eggs, vanilla extract, pudding mix, and red food coloring. Blend for 1-2 minutes, then scrape the sides of the bowl down and blend for another 2 minutes. Using a 1/4  measuring cup, fill the cupcake liners with the cake batter. Bake for 18-20 minutes. Let it sit in the pan for 1-2 minutes before transferring to the cooling rack.

In a bowl, beat the cream cheese, butter, and vanilla until smooth. Then add the confectioner's sugar one cup at a time while blending. Frost the cupcakes when they are completely cool. 

My love knows how much I love red velvet cupcakes. These are the cupcakes he got me in the past! Both delivered to my work. I love him so much.

Red velvet cupcakes from Cinderella Bakery he got me "just because"
Cupcakes from Sprinkles for our Anniversary!

Next time, I will make these cupcakes from scratch. Meanwhile, try this recipe! Enjoy and happy baking!

0 comments:

Post a Comment