Thursday, September 22, 2011

Amy: 0 vs Crochet: 1

I know how to knit, so I thought learning how to crochet would be easy, but I was wrong. I tried to learn on a youtube video tutorial, which kinda helped, but it wasn't enough for me to fully understand it.  So instead, I got myself a crochet guidebook. After many hours of practicing, I managed to learn how to do several different crochet stitches.

RIP to this pile of yarn.
Using the skills I learned, I decided to crochet a blanket using a pattern from Attic24: Neat Ripple Pattern. The blog explains the pattern very well with step by step photos, but not all the details a rookie wouldn't know. So being a rookie myself, I suffered a lot...I don't have the basics, so I kept messing up and having to start over and over and over. After some research and trial and error, I've learned my lesson:

  • Check your work very often as you go (be paranoid of messing up). 
  • It is wise to use a crochet needle that is a size bigger than the suggested size for the first few rows (or the first color), so it doesn't get too tight and start curling.
After all that and a lot of cussing, this is how far I got and I'm damn proud of it:

I love the colors!

I still have long ways to go. Wish me luck on the rest of it. I will post my progress.

Hello Kitties
...Some day I want to be able to crochet dolls like these...


3 comments:

  1. Hey it looks like you've got the hang of it! I know how to knit a very little but I've always found crocheting easier and so much more forgiving to mistakes. Good luck! Those little dolls will be super easy to do with a bit more practice stitches.

    ReplyDelete