Saturday, November 26, 2011

Tutorial: Pine Cone Christmas Tree

This time of the year, you start to feel the pressure because you see and hear Christmas everywhere and people are talking about gifts!  You better start getting ready now, because it's just around the corner! Next time you know it, you will be stressing over the last minute gifts and decorations. So, let me make your life a little easier with this tutorial.

Mini xmas tree.
Here is a great craft idea that is easy, simple, and cheap.  Pine Cone Christmas Tree! I vividly remember making this in kindergarden with my teacher. I remember painting it white with multi-colored glitters and giving it to my mom.

You will need:
  • Pine cone
  • green acrylic paint
  • glitter
  • hot glue
  • regular glue or Modge Podge
  • mini terra cotta pot (i got one from Michaels' for 69 cents)
  • mini star (optional) I used a wooden star but you can use star shaped buttons or cut out a yellow foam sheet.

Simply, paint the pine cone with green paint and let it dry. Apply some regular glue on the edge of each spine on the pine cone and sprinkle some glitter. Once it's dry, hot glue the pine cone to the terra cotta pot and glue the star on top. Super easy and it's a great craft project to do with your kids!

I painted white on the tips of the "pedals" of the pine cone to give a "snow" effect. Too bad you can't really see the glitter on the snow in the photos. I also applied glitter on the star.

You can get creative with the decorations. Use different paint colors, rhinestones, sequins, beads, fluff balls, ribbons, etc. Go crazy with them and have fun!


Happy Holidays and Happy Crafting!

16 comments:

  1. Awesome! I just bought some fluorescent (glow in the dark) spray, me thinks it would be fabulous to spray the pine cone tips with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Que idea más bonita!! Mil gracias por el tutorial ÜÜÜÜÜÜ
    Saludos
    Flor

    ReplyDelete
  3. Una genial idea.
    Muchas gracias por el tutorial.
    besitos ascension

    ReplyDelete
  4. @coffeeaddict: glow in the dark xmas tree sounds like fun!
    @Flor and Ascension: Muchas gracias!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a nice idea. I couldn't get a Christmas tree here but there are plenty of pine cones around. Thanks for the tutorial.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very good idea! I like it. Hugs Kati

    ReplyDelete
  7. a little glitter on the white tips looks festive !!!! sue

    ReplyDelete
  8. To get a textured snow effect you can use a product called Snow Tex that you could apply to the tips, then apply the glitter.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Super cute. Going to do this with my daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful, very creative.... thank you for the tip !!

    ReplyDelete
  11. How clever! We have white pines here, and the pinecones already have white tips. .. I collected four grocery bags of them and have been trying to figure out what to do with them. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great crafty idea. Will be doing with my Daisy Girl Scout troop this Tuesday...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely idea - will try it out myself

    ReplyDelete